Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Plum Tree Sketches



So a friend of mine asked me to draw a plum tree in bloom for her tattoo. Of course, I have no idea what a plum tree looks like, so I do some web searches. What I find is mainly that plum trees have always looked better in drawings than in real life; artists throughout history seem to have this knack for idealizing the gnarled, diagonal composition of anything they draw. So I decided to go with the idealized version of the plum tree, since that seems to be what my friend would most like to have as a tattoo. I mean, I know I wouldn't want a photorealistic, boring ol' plum tree tattooed on my heinie. I'd want the windswept, romantic, contorted, gnarled, Japanese-style ornamental plum tree. That's what I tried to capture in these two drawings.

8 comments:

cheryl said...

"I mean, I know I wouldn't want a photorealistic, boring ol' plum tree tattooed on my heinie. I'd want the windswept, romantic, contorted, gnarled, Japanese-style ornamental plum tree."

haha! you're awesome.. and so is your plum tree :)

Micah said...

Thank you...I try.

cheryl said...

and you succeed...

Kelly Burgess said...

Hi Jared!
I came across this online and would really like to use one of your plum tree sketches for a website that I am making of Boston-based photographers.
if you are at all interested in working with me and the group at all, please email me at
plumcollective@gmail.com
thanks :)
Kelly Burgess

Rachel Lee Holland said...

hi! your sketches are great. i googled "plum tree" to find an image to use for my blog's header. would you mind if i used one of your sketches?

i have a plum tree branch tattoo on my ribs. it's on my blog :)

Micah said...

You may certainly use one of my sketches for your blog header. =)


Your tattoo is very nice...

hal said...

Hello! I love your plum trees! I was wondering I would use it on my website? I would like to add some color to if you don't mind like color on the flowers. Let me know if it's okay. Thanks!

Micah said...

Yes, Hal, that would be fine. =) I'm glad you like it! Could you send me a link to the website when it's up? Thanks!